Match reports for the Ladies XVs
All previous match reports etc can be found at the Archive page.



Annan Ladies were outplayed on Sunday at the Everholm in the 2nd round of the SWRU Cup by Division 2 Champions Kirkcaldy. This Cup game, which had been postponed twice due to the weather, was played at last at the Everholm. Earlier in the day it had looked increasingly possible that it would fall again to the weather as Annan was lashed by driving rain, sleet, hailstones and gale force winds but such is the vagaries of the Scottish weather that the game was played under blue skies and sunshine albeit with a strong wind blowing the length of the pitch.

The visitors stated their intent early in the game with some fine driving play by their forwards, which brought its reward after five minutes, when the Fifers scored their first of three first half tries. It wasn’t all Kirkcaldy, however, as Annan, aided by the strong wind, applied a period of sustained pressure in the visitor’s 22 but were unable to break down the stubborn and extremely well organised Kirkcaldy defences. Half Time score Annan 0 Kirkcaldy 15.

In the second half the visitors cranked up the pressure and with some superb flowing moves between both forwards and backs ran the plucky Annan side ragged scoring a further six tries and converting two to take the final score to Annan 0 Kirkcaldy 54. Although defeated Annan never gave up and showed glimpses of what they are capable and they will get their chance to shine again. Although knocked out of the Cup they now progress to the semi finals of the Shield competition and a chance of appearing in at Murrayfield on Cup Finals day on 20th April.


Not for the first time this season it was left to Annan Ladies XV to salvage some pride for the Annan club with this cracking win in the first round of the SWRU Cup at Union Park Corstorphine in Edinburgh on Sunday. The scale of the victory was all the more remarkable when it is considered that Annan were without their influential half back pairing of Lyndsey Povall and Catriona Rae who are both out for several weeks with injuries and lock Maggie Black who was unavailable.

Within the first quarter of the game the result was never in doubt as the visitors racked up some fine tries. The first was scored by scrum half and captain C. Little followed by a further four scored by K. Robison, R. Wyllie and L. Brodie (2). L. Brodie added two conversions to take the half time score to Division 4 Select 0 Annan Ladies 29.

The second half was virtually a rerun of the first with Annan running in a further six tries by L. Sproat, K. Jones, R. Wyllie, K. Lake, C. Little and S. Ewart. None of the tries were converted.

This was a fine display by the Annan team especially considering the injury problems being endured by the squad at this time. Annan now wait to hear who they have drawn in the second round


This was the first meeting at Violetbank between Strathmore and Annan Ladies, and it was always going to be a tough game between the 3rd and 5th teams in Division 2 of the SWRU Leagues.

Free flowing rugby was never going to be the order of the day, due to the heavy underfoot conditions. Annan started well and rucked and drove the opposition players back to their goal line. Twice in succession Annan players were over the try line but were unable to ground the ball. However the pressure began to tell on the visitors and from a ruck the ball was fed to No 8 Laura Brodie who powered over for the opening score. Scrum half Lyndsey Povall added the conversion to put Annan 7-0 ahead.

Play was becoming bogged down in the middle of the pitch with neither team gaining supremacy, but a piece of inspirational back play led to centre Katie Robinson bursting through the opposition to score between the posts. Lyndsey Povall again added the conversion for a 14-0 lead and the home team appeared to be well on top.

At this point Annan, who must have thought the game was won, let Strathmore back into the game and paid dearly for it. In the ten minutes leading up to half time Strathmore scored three tries, all through their speedy full back, who failed with all three of her conversion attempts. Half time arrived with Annan, having had the best of the play, finding themselves 15 – 14 down. The half time team talk must have worked as Annan immediately, at resumption of play, went back on the offensive and pressurized the opposition line. From a scrum 5 metres out, the ball broke loose and Katie Rae picked up the loose ball and scored between the posts. Lyndsey Povall again added the conversion for Annan to regain the lead at 21-15.

As the players tired in the heavy ground conditions, the play became scrappy with both sides giving away numerous penalties and there was little constructive play from either side. The Strathmore backs, however, always looked dangerous in open play and they were to have the final word with their left-winger finding space on the outside to score in the corner. The conversion was missed and as the whistle went for full time Annan ran out victors by 21 points to 20.

A scrappy, although exciting game, with the Annan forwards just edging out their opposition with the Strathmore backs winning their duel. Over the piece Annan probably just deserved their victory and this win sees them secure in 5th position in the league. A special mention must go to Steve Lionel who stood in to referee the match at the last moment, after the nominated referee failed to turn up.


On Sunday Annan Ladies resumed their league campaign after an 8-week break, and it took some time in this game before they got into the game and showed the style of rugby that they are capable of playing.

The depleted Duns team started well and immediately took the game to Annan, and it took some resolute defence to keep the visitors from crossing the home line. Duns did however take the lead when they converted a penalty awarded when an Annan player handled in a ruck. From the resumption the Annan pack set up good ball for their backs to create space for centre Katie Robison to burst through and score between the posts for a converted try. Scrum half Lyndsey Poval scored and converted the second try when she pounced on a loose ball and out sprinted the visiting defence to score. Not to be outdone by the backs, the forwards got into the action when from a ruck in the opposition’s 22 No 8 Katie Lake picked up and drove herself over the line to score.

Annan were now in total control and Kate Robison scored the try of the match, when again from a good forward platform, the ball was spun wide and Katie, involved three times in the move, took the scoring pass and ran in a superb try. She followed this up with another score, to give her her hat trick and bring the halftime score to 31 – 3.

Duns started the second half with renewed vigour but the Annan defence was equal to the task. After weathering the initial storm, the Annan scoring machine got into gear again, firstly, after a good break by wing forward Karen Jones, Lyndsey Poval scored her second try and the teams sixth try. The same player then produced a typical run from half way line to complete her hat trick. The final two tries of the match were scored by stand off Katie Rae, the first from a pick up short of the line, the second from an inside break on the half way line to bring the final score to Annan 44 Duns 3.

All in all this was a sound performance built on solid defence, tackling and committed attacking play. Considering the long lay off the whole team played well and this result sees them secure in fifth place in the league.

Annan Team: M. Graham, L. Sproat, J. Gemmell, P. Sidebottom, M. Black, K. Jones, C. Little, K. Lake, L. Poval, K. Rae, L. Hodgson, K. Robison, R. Wylie, L. Stobbart, S. Halliday, K. Smith, T. Robertson, S. Robison.


League leaders Melrose were the visitors at Violetbank on a typical autumn Sunday of wind, rain and sun. Unbeaten so far this season, after relegation from Division 1, the visitors were always going to be tough opposition for this young Annan side.

The first quarter was fairly even with both sets of forwards cancelling each other out. The game took a turn in Melrose’s favour when, from quick ruck ball, the visiting backs injected pace for their right winger to overlap and score a fine try in the corner. The Melrose backs were beginning to exploit gaps in the Annan defences and it came as no surprise that their speedy right winger stormed in for two more tries, one of which was converted to take a 17 – 0 lead. The Annan pack were giving their opposite numbers a tough time and from one drive, prop Jane Gemmel picked up and drove forward before putting in a superb pass to stand off Katrona Rae who out sprinted the cover defence to score between the posts. Centre Shirley McGlurg converted the try to take the halftime score to 17 –7 in the visitors favour.

The start of the second half saw Melrose change tactics with their centres being used to try and create gaps in the Annan midfield, and eventually, this paid dividends when their stand off crashed over near the posts for an unconverted try. Annan were now under pressure and were finding it difficult to break out of defence, and were unlucky to lose a further try when from broken play one of the visiting centres found a gap and scored her sides fifth try.

This score served to spur Annan to greater efforts and the attacked the visiting line, forcing the ball to be dropped, which was snapped up by centre Shirley McGlurg who scored at the posts. Shirley duly converted her try to bring the score line to 27-14 to Melrose. There was nothing between the teams in the final quarter, but from good forward play by the visitors, the ball was spun wide for the Melrose winger to score the final try of the match and give her team a 32 – 14 win.

This was a highly entertaining game with both teams giving 100% effort aided and abetted by some excellent refereeing by David Drysdale from Wigtownshire.

Annan Ladies Team: J. Gemmel, K. Smith, M. Graham, M. Black, P. Sidebottom, K. Jones, C. Little, L. Brodie, L. Povall, K. Rae, S. Halliday, S. McGlurg, K. Robison, R. Wyllie, B. Yousefian, S. Carruthers, C. Carruthers, L. Sproat, L. Hodgson, L. Stobbart.


Annan Ladies were on the road again this week with sunny Forfar their destination and a meeting with old rivals Strathmore. The players lined up at the start with the opposition towering over the smaller Annan team and things looked ominous for Annan. The one thing, however, about this Annan team is that, whilst they may be small in stature, they are big in heart and commitment.

Right from the start Annan were put under the cosh and were soon behind to an unconverted try. Undaunted, the Annan forwards took the game to Strathmore and Laura Brodie scored a try which she converted herself. This score was set up by the forwards with good rucking and driving followed by quick release of the ball to the backs. As the half wore on, the home team took control and scored a further two tries, to take the half time score to 19-7.

The second half started with the visitors increasing the pace of the game and gradually got on top, but as luck would have it, the opposition forwards broke out of defence to score an unconverted try. Annan’s cause was not helped when their numbers were reduced to 14 when Steph Halliday had to leave the field injured.

The rest of the game was all Annan with the opposition conceding penalty after penalty in an attempt to stop Annan from scoring. Eventually after a fine break by Katrona Rae, Stacey Carruthers picked the ball off the ground and drove over for the final score of the match.

The Annan Ladies can count themselves unlucky in not coming away with the spoils with the 24-12 scoreline flattering Strathmore. This was a much more committed performance than of late. The team as a hole played well, but a special mention has to go to the back row trio who harried the opposition from start to finish.

Annan Ladies Squad: M. Graham, K. Lake, J. Gemmell, M. Black, P. Sidebottom, K. Jones, S. Carruthers, L. Brodie, L. Povall, K. Rae, L. Stobbart, K. Robison, S. Halliday, R. Wyllie, B. Yousofian


Annan Ladies day started off badly and slowly went down hill. With several players calling off on Sunday morning Annan were left with only twelve players to make the long trip to Duns. The arduous trip into the heart of the Borders was compounded by the fact that after having to suffer another mystery tour they had to take the field immediately and it came as no surprise that they found themselves 15 points down in as many minutes. As the half progressed, the contest became more even, with Annan launching several counter attacks but were unable to make the final pass count and turned round 22-0 down after conceding another converted try.

Annan launched an immediate attack on the resumption and scored a fine try by centre Katie Robison. While those players who did turn up played their hearts out the sheer force of numbers against them and the superior rucking by the Duns forwards began to tell and the hosts took control of the game.

Despite committed tackling and some fine individual performances by the Annan girls, Duns ran out comfortable winners by 48 points to 5. Although well beaten, the Annan players stuck to their task until the final whistle.

Annan Team: T. Robertson, K. Smith, M. Graham, M. Black, P. Sidebottom, L. Sproat, L. Brodie, K. Rae, L. Stobbart, K. Robison, R. Wylie, S. Halliday


A hard fought game between two committed teams saw the visitors from Fife win by a score-line which somewhat flattered them. Annan started well and held the territorial advantage for most of the first half, dominating the lineout and holding their own in the scrums against a heavier visiting eight and a home win looked on the cards. However a serious injury to hooker Laura Sproat disrupted the scrum and the visiting backs took advantage and created an overlap for their right winger, who ran from her own 22 to score between the posts to give Kirkcaldy a 5-0 lead at half time.

The second half started with the home side again having the territorial advantage, but Kirkcaldy always looked dangerous in the loose and their superior rucking created a try for their outside centre. This set back served to spur Annan on and they enjoyed a period of domination which saw them having a try disallowed before scrum half Lyndsey Povall burst through the cover defence to score an unconverted try. Annan continued to press forward but found the tough Kirkcaldy defence difficult to break down and from an Annan attack the ball went loose and the Kirkcaldy backs broke out of their 22 to score a converted try.

With the score at 17-5 and time running out, the visiting backs had the final say bring the game to an end with the final score of the match to take the final score to Annan 5 Kirkcaldy 22.

All in all this was a hard fought game with the power of the Kirkcaldy rucking and well drilled defence the difference between the two teams.

Annan Ladies Squad: M. Graham, L. Sproat, J. Gemmell, M. Black, P. Sidebottom, K. Lake, C. Little, J. Kerr, L. Povall, K. Rae, L. Stobbart, S. McClurg, K. Robison, L. Hodgson, S. Halliday, B. Wyllie, L. Brodie, K. Jones, T. Robertson


Annan Ladies travelled to Berwick on Sunday to start their new season in SWRU National League Division 2, having gained promotion last season as league champions of Division 3.

Fielding three new recruits, it was always going to be a tough game and so it turned out. The formidable home pack dominated the scrums, but the more mobile, fitter Annan back row whose greater scavenging skills for any loose ball always kept the opposition on the back foot.

The Annan forwards drove the ball deep into the opposition 22 and from the ensuing ruck scrum half Lyndsey Povall drove over to score to give the visitors a 5-0 lead. Annan kept up the pressure in the Berwick half and were rewarded with a penalty which centre Shirley McClurg slotted between the posts to take the half time score to Berwick 0 Annan 8.

The second half started with Berwick driving play down the slope towards the Annan line and despite some resolute tackling and committed defense, the inevitable happened and the Berwick winger scored to take the score to 5-8.

In the final quarter of the match the fitter Annan team began to gain the upper hand and from a superb forward drive the ball was spun to centre Shirley McClurg who sidestepped her way over the line for a terrific try to take the final score to Berwick 5 Annan 13.

This was an encouraging all round performance and augers well for the rest of the season.

Annan Team:

S. Halliday, B. Wyllie, J. Kerr, S. McClurg, L. Stobbart, K. Rae, L. Povall, L. Brodie, C. Little, K. Jones, P. Sidebottom, M. Black, T. Robertson, L. Sproat, M. Graham.