Match reports for the Ladies XVs
All previous match reports etc can be found at the Archive page.



After the long journey north on Saturday Annan Ladies were more than ready to lay siege to the Inverness line with game played at Culloden on the Sabbath in Division 2 of the SWRU Leagues. With 15 minutes played a rampant Annan pack supplied the ball to stand in stand off S. Brodie who saw an opening in the Inverness defence, rounding several desperate tacklers to score under the posts from the halfway line. She converted her own try. Annan went further ahead when scrum half C. Little took a quick penalty on her own 22, moved the ball to her backs and winger S. Halliday carved open the home defences to score under the posts with S. Brodie again adding the conversion.

After the restart the home side were fired up and within 20 minutes they had scored three tries and two conversions with no reply from Annan. At this point it looked as if Annan were destined to a long and quiet journey home. However a poor clearance kick by the home full back was fielded ‘Andy Goram’ style by winger S. Ewart who burst down the wing for 40 metres to score in the corner. With the conversion missed and the score at 19-17 Annan bombarded the home defences but due to the man in the middle and over eagerness Annan were unable to convert the pressure into points.

With 8 minutes of play remaining and a change in battle orders passed to the black and golds’ line of attack S. Brodie found space in behind the home lines and touched down just wide of the posts with her conversion rebounding of the upright. The restart was kicked deep into Annan territory, M. Black drove forward with the pack driving the ball to the half way line and the ball was released to S. Halliday in space who again scored in the corner to take Annan further into the lead. The conversion was missed.

With 45 seconds remaining on the clock the visiting forwards, from a poorly taken restart, again drove play towards the home line and with the Inverness stand off and inside centre sucked in Annan quickly moved the ball wide and S. Halliday again outstripped her opposition to score her second try in as many minutes. With S. Brodie adding the conversion the final whistle sounded and the Annan Ladies performed a highland jig with their hosts looking on in amazement. This was a pleasing result after a lengthy period of inaction and a lengthy journey.


The game started at a furious pace, with both teams testing each other out. Annan were exerting pressure on their opponents when from a mistake in midfield, Berwick pounced and their winger scored in the corner for a 5 - 0 lead.

A period of sustained Annan pressure was rewarded when Lyndsay Povall gathered the ball and scored a well taken try, which she duly converted herself, puffing Annan 7- 5 ahead. From the kick off Berwick again capitalized on another Annan mistake and scored to regain the lead.

Berwick were now well in command and it was no surprise when they went further ahead with another unconverted try. With the score at 15 -7, Annan took a leaf out of Berwick’s book and turned defence into attack, with Lyndsey Povall running in a try from her own 22, which, again she converted, bringing the half time score to 15 - 14 in Berwicks favour.

Virtually from the second half kick off, Berwick went further ahead, when from a speculative kick ahead, the Berwick centre reacted the quickest to score a converted try for a 22 - 14 lead. Annan were now under constant pressure, but were next to score when from a good break up the wing, Steph Halliday was on hand to score an unconverted try.

Annan were finding it difficult to make any headway against a very tight and capable defence and it was no surprise that the visitors were to have the final say with another converted try, bringing the game to an end with a defeat for Annan by 29 points to 19.

It was commitment and the will to win that was the difference between the two teams. Annan, although having a numerical advantage on the player front never made this count and suffered the consequences of poor defence and some inept tackling. Without doubt Berwick fully deserved their victory.


Annan Ladies took to the road again last Sunday, making the long journey to Forfar to take on Strathmore Ladies, a team that they had never beaten. It was a down hearted squad of 13 that left Annan, again the victims of late call offs.

After a three hour journey it was expected that Annan would start slowly, but the opposite was the fact and the Ladies attacked from the off As the half wore on however, the superior strength of the Strathmore pack began to tell and this coupled with the loss of one of Annan’s props saw Annan come under severe pressure. To their credit though the Annan players defended well, nullifying the Strathmore attacks. Gradually Annan began to exert pressure on the Strathmore backs and cracks were beginning to show. Half time came with the score at 0- 0 and torrential rain sweeping the ground.

The second half started with the Annan players raising their game and Strathmore beginning to struggle. From a scrum on their own 10 metre line the Annan forwards, although under extreme pressure, delivered quick ball to their backs, who produced the space for Steph Halliday to run in a superb try from the half way line. Lyndsay Povall added the conversion to put Annan 7-0 in the lead.

The game restarted with Strathmore on the offense but the Annan defence was equal to the task, and held their line intact. Annan’s second try again came from good forward play and again the backs combined well to put Sue Brodie in the clear and she outsprinted the cover defence to score another well taken try. Lyndsay Povall again added the conversion to put Annan 14 - 0 ahead.

The rest of the game was played at a furious pace and in very difficult conditions, with the tackling and ball winning of the Annan players outstanding. The game ended with Annan recording their first ever victory over Strathmore. Considering that they started with a depleted team, which was made worse with the loss of a prop forward after 30 minutes, this was indeed a fine performance by the team as a whole. Every player gave their all and there were many outstanding performances culminating in a richly deserved victory over a physically superior team.


Sunday last saw Annan ladies play their first home game of the season and for the first time they took to the field with 15 players. The game started at a frantic pace, with Annan attacking from the kick-off. From a scrum on their opponents 10 metre line, the Annan backs harried the opposition into errors one of which led to Lyndsay Povall pouncing to outstrip the defence to score an unconverted try and give Annan a 5 point lead.

Directly from the following kick-off the Annan forwards took the ball on and fed the backs who released Lyndsay to score her second try giving Annan a 10 point lead after only 8 minutes play. Annan conceded a penalty from the restart from which Midlothian attempted to attack the Annan back line, who in turn won the ball and Lyndsay romped in for her third try with only 11 minutes gone.

Where some teams would buckle after such a start, Midlothian to their credit lifted their game and the rest of the half saw defenses on top as each side tried to break the other down. Midlothian managed to score a try mid way through the half when their winger forced her way over in the corner for an unconverted try, making the half-time score 15 - 5 in Annan's favour.

The second half saw Annan firmly entrenched in their opponents half and despite losing two players through injury, Midlothian continued to defend well and repelled the Annan attacks.The next score came when, after good forward driving the ball was fed along the Annan back line to Sue Brodie who side stepped her way through for an excellent try which was converted by Lyndsay Povall, making the score 22- 5 to Annan.

The rest of the half continued in the same vane with Annan attacking and Midlothian defending. The final score came when, from a planned move near the goal line, Katrona Rae powered her way over for a try which Shirley McClurg duly converted, making the final score 29 - 5 to Annan.

This was a good all round performance, with the whole team playing well, tackling and supporting each other throughout. It was pleasing to see Annan finally taking the field with a full team, after struggling for numbers in their first two games of the season.


The scoreline indicates a rout and yes this was, but taking into account the fact that Annan fielded only 11 players against Lismore’s 14, the outcome was hardly surprising.

In the set pieces, Annan were on a par with their opposition, however there was no answer to the 2 or 3 player overlap whenever the ball was out in the backs. The result of this numerical imbalance was that the outside backs of Lismore had a field day whenever they had possession of the ball.

The Annan players stuck to their task and never gave up and this resulted in them scoring 3 superb tries through Sue Brodie, Katie Rae and Petrina Sidebottom, two of which were converted by Lyndsey Poval.

The ladies chased and tackled from start to finish, but the difference in numbers was always going to be the telling factor. Everyone in the team gave their all and in phases of the game showed signs of what they are capable of. Work commitments and injury apart, this group of talented girls deserve better and it is hoped that in the future, full strength sides will take the field and enable them to achieve the success they undoubtedly are capable of.