Match reports for the 2nd XV
All previous match reports etc can be found at the Archive page.

Cumnock RFC
Dalziel RFC
East Kilbride RFC


Match Report by: Neil "Santa" Wallace

On Saturday the 5th of November, Violetbank was a glorious sunny day albeit cold in the wind, setting for the Annan 2nds unleashed some fireworks in the form of fine flowing rugby on the visitors.

From the kick off Cumnock lost 2 players within the first 2 minutes due to a clash of heads. 1 requiring the able assistance of Annan Physio Marion Hamilton (who glued the unlucky players cut together) while 1 was able to re-join later in the game.

Andy Alison returned to 2nd team action & marked his return by slotting an early penalty to open the scoring 3-0.

Almost immediately following the restart, Muir was on the receiving end of a very long miss pass, taking the ball well & then (after previously having left it in the changing room) sold his Dummy to glide past his opposite number to score in the corner (unconverted)

Taking to this new position like a duck to water Muir next carved an excellent line through the waiting defence & with the try line beckoning a mere 15 meters away the unlucky winger spilled the ball!

However from the resultant scrum, the now rampant Annan backs stole the ball from the visitors & Declan Ferguson scored Annan’s second & his first of the afternoon – this was a simpler kick – to the relief of Alison who added the extras.

Then before the first half was finished Alison completed a very good individual performance with a try of his own, Fergus then added his second & Annan’s bonus point try which Carlyle converted giving a half time score of Annan 27 Cumnock 0

The second stanza saw a raft of changes for Annan (who enjoyed not only having a full 15 but also a full subs bench) & following a scrum on the home 22 Annan were caught napping by the deceptively quick scrum half who crossed the whitewash out wide to give Cumnock their first points of the day.

Alison then got the scoring flowing again following another fine flowing move by the backs to stretch his 5” 5 frame to touch the ball down on the line despite the attentions of the defenders

Next was Fergus to complete his hat trick before having to leave the pitch due to a stretched groin.

Carpenter was converted from a forward to centre for the rest of the day & was next on the score card with a fine worked try – converted by Muir .

Annan (if there had been a statistician line side) spend 75% of the game in the opponents 22 & were frustrated on numerous occasions by dogged defence from the visitors.

But not to be outdone, Warrick added the 8th try of the day following a 15 meter pick & drive to score under the posts (converted by Allison).

Carpenter then doubled his tally for the day & took Annan to 9 try’s for the day.

However in the dying moments of the game On a rare expedition into Annan territory the Cumnock scrum half again deceived the defence to score on the wing – again following a scrum on the 10 meter line – so there is still some work to be done.

A big thanks to Cumnock for traveling & the Annan 2nd XV can now enjoy the Autumn International break


Match Report by: Neil "Santa" Wallace

Annan 2nds took to the road again this week for the relatively short trip to East Kilbride but due to a mixture of injury, holiday, work commitments & call ups to the 1st team Annan travelled with 12 players !

Following a short discussion Annan opted to play the game with the dozen players as a competitive match against the full complement of 15.

On what turned out to be a decent Autumnal hallowe'en day with relatively warm and almost dry conditions Annan started the game brightly enough but found that the superior numbers of the home team exposed the lack of defenders to round the visiting defence & open the scoring.

When EK repeated this only a couple of minutes later it didn't look good for the visitors! However Annan are made of tougher stuff & dug deep , starting to put more into the tackles, forcing errors & turning over possession & were rewarded with a penalty inside the opposing half bang in front of the posts, up stepped Adam Carlyle to slot the first 3 points of the afternoon.

This further galvanised the dynamic dozen and stepped up the tempo again and against all odds Liam Ogalvie found himself (with the assistant of the rest of the pack) crashing over from 5 meters out & with Carlyle adding the extras it was game on! However the first half played out without further scoring.

The second half turned out to be a bridge too far for the now tiring dozen were unable to sustain the monumental effort & EK finally made the superior numbers tell & with the use of the 3 substations to wear down the valiant visitors to give the home side a flattering victory by 50 points to 10.

The final word went to the defiant dozen as on the last play of the game they prevented a last score to the home side by holding up and frustrating the pack .

Catching the eye for the visitors was ……… everyone who made the journey! Well done lads !


Match Report by: Alan Robertson - Match Highlights

At long last Annan 2nd XV were able to host a home game at Violetbank as every other team due to travel to Annan so far this season in West 2 of the BT Regional Reserve Leagues has called off or conceded the points. Dalziel 3rd XV, however, travelled to Annan and whilst well beaten by a rampant Annan team provided an entertaining game played in the best traditions of social rugby.

Annan played some highly entertaining rugby scoring 14 tries over the 80 minutes.

The best of the best was scored by prop Colin Warrick in the first half when following a surprisingly quick break into the 22 by No 8 Neil Wallace who, when tackled, popped a pass to lock Tam Thorburn who when brought to the ground, set the ball back for prop Colin Warrick to pick up and drive over to score.

What made it special was the fact that the trio of Methuselahs probably had a combined age of approaching 150 years. Colin, who made his mark over his illustrious rugby career with his 1 metre trade mark tries surprised everyone in the second half when taking a quick penalty award on the 22 ‘darted’ the full 20 metres to score.

The try scorers for the record were Declan Ferguson (3 tries), Colin Warrick (2 tries), Logan Johnstone (2 tries), Gary Williamson, Michael Carpenter, Callum Smith, Willie Gray, Sam Rodgers, Liam Ogilvie, and a penalty try. Standoff Scott Muir added 9 conversions to complete the scoring.

Thanks must go to Dalziel 3rds who made the journey from Motherwell and contributed hugely to the enjoyment of the game from players and spectators alike both on the field and in the clubhouse after the game.

For the record Dalziel’s youngest player was in his mid thirties with the oldest a 65 year old prop!!