Match reports for the Youth XVs
All previous match reports etc can be found at the Archive page.

Dumfries RFC
Langholm RFC
Moffat RFC
Moffat RFC
Newton Stewart RFC
Stewartry RFC
Dumfries RFC
Newton Stewart RFC
Bridgenorth RFC
Cartha Festival
Dumfries RFC
Garnock RFC
Westmorland RFC

8TH MAY 2011

Annan travel to Lochshore for their first visit to Garnock with the weather doing its best to dampen the spirits , arriving before the hosts had opened the club house!

After completing the warm up in what can only be described as typhoon conditions Annan’s coaches were relieved to see the clouds lift a little & the rain slow ready for a delayed kick off on a pitch that had stood up well to the amount of rain that had fallen.

Garnock started brightly & with an excellent display of running rugby their stand off put in a man of the match performance starting with 2 unconverted tries in the opening 5 minutes.

Annan found themselves a third try down without having done much wrong , this proved to be the catalyst for some more robust tackling from the open side wing forward Benjamin Wagner who also bagged Annan’s opening try – converted by Frazer Hope.

In the second period saw Annan starting to take control of the game with some fine scrummaging from the visitors putting pressure onto the home pack , Mitchell Townson caught the eye with a fine performance at scrum half putting the pressure on his opposite number & turning over possession back to Annan . Annan Continued to dominate in the loose with locks Callum Smith and Robert Muir making ground every time they had the ball. Starting his first game at No8 Duncan Preston scored his first of a brace of tries bursting through some lackluster midfield tackling before sprinting 30 meters to score . Steven Clark also could be relied upon in attack to make quick breaks – one in particular saw him clean though only to be caught after making 50 meters by the Garnock stand off.

With their tails firmly up Annan started the last period the same way they ended the second period & took the lead for the first time in the match when a short line out pass saw Rory Graham deceiving the defense with a “Turbo” boost crossing the whitewash with a mass of Garnock players unable to prevent it. Preston added his second and Annan’s fourth before a very short “guest” appearance by Keir (on the pitch for less than 2 minutes) before he was put through by B. Wagner to score under the posts. Garnock were not done yet and another fine break saw a kick through pounced upon by the winger who scored their final points. This stung Annan who responded well by increasing the work rate & Hope was unlucky not to be awarded a try in the corner (incorrectly grounded) & when clean through Conor Clark was called back for a forward pass . Annan’s seventh and final try was scored by debutant Marek Borkowski (converted by Hope)

Also making a very promising debut was Daweed Gniba who produced some good solid defensive tackling and some good offloads in the tackle .

This was a very good match played in the right spirit by two teams who were very evenly matched , bringing Annan’s U14 15 a side season to an end

27TH MARCH 2011

Annan U14 Tigers sent a team to S1/2 Festival at Cartha Queens Park playing 3 20minute games.


Annan started the Festival at Cartha against the hosts, confusion over the timing of the kick lead to Annan conceding a scrum on the center circle some solid defensive tackling held out some aggressive running from Cartha before they forced the winger over in the corner. From the restart Annan again suffered from a poor kick this time however a solid scrum kept Cartha from being able to take advantage .

Annan tackled well especially Harry Miller who was a constant thorn in Cartha side stealing ball & rucking well. A sweeping Cartha move saw the right wing clear with Ieuan Keir caught out of position to run in a simple try. From the resulting restart Annan followed up a good kick By Cairn Wallace to see Drew Gough crashing over under the posts – Wallace converted. Gough was on hand to field the kick off and was only just held, Annan rucked well with several phases of good possession ended the game on the front foot.


The second game of the Festival saw Annan dominating the first 10 minutes of the game with some excellent rucking and recycling of the ball. Steven Clark caught the eye with 2 dazzling breaks that resulted in tries for Annan one for the open site flanker Benjamin Wagner & 1 for Drew Gough – converted by Cairn Wallace. Garnock then started to press and some determined attacking play resulted in a line out on Annan’s 10meter line – disappointingly for the coaches the throw in was caught & driven over the line by Garnock without being touched by an Annan defender.

Garnock then started to produce some fine recycling of the ball causing Annan to concede a penalty, from a quick tap & go the left wing score tight to the touchline. Garnock completed their comeback with a fine move and the same winger scoring his second of the game with no time for Annan to reply.


Annan saved their best display for last from the kick off Annan pressed hard & kept the opposition within their own half before as Annan were a man down (receiving treatment) Alan Glens used the space to score in the corner. A fine mazy run from Ieuan Keir saw Annan back on the front foot with eye catching breaks from Luke Clark before Alan Glen turned the ball over to release the pressure .

With less than 10 minutes to play the game sprung to life with another Gough try converted by Wallace, followed by a fine backs move Annan scored close to the posts for the easiest conversion of the afternoon, Annan regained possession from the kick off & moved the ball though Clark, Keir, Miller, Jameson for the final score in the right hand corner – again converted.

Alan Glens were awarded a penalty for indiscipline around the breakdown took a quick tap & scored their second try. The final play of the game enabled a late try to bring the score closer than on balance the game had been.

The festival ended with man of the match presentations by Scotland & Glasgow warriors stand off RUARIDH JACKSON Who spent time signing autographs for the 14 teams who turned up for the festival.

The boys from Annan enjoyed the games and made some good impressions on the coaches of the other teams participating.

27TH MARCH 2011

Annan welcomed a very strong squad from Bridgnorth, Shropshire fresh from a 41 all draw with Dumfries Saints the day before. With two teams playing on the same day Annan u14 found they had 12 players to a full squad. Annan started brightly with a good solid displays from Callum Smith , Robert Muir , Conner Murphy. Having taken the lead Annan played some good solid Rugby moving the ball around the backs with some fine play from Logan Johnston & Frazer Hope. Debutants Nial Smith & Conner Clark also caught the eye.

Annan took a slender lead into the final 20 minutes when the fatigue of playing all of the game with no substitutes started to take its toll, winger Lee Dunion who ran from almost his own goal line to 10 meters short of the opposition line before being pulled down had the ball turned over for Bridgnorth to overpower the tiring Annan team to run out winners by 9 tries to 5 .

Another fine display from Annan u14’s against very strong opposition with the last scheduled game of the season at home to Stewartry this weekend.

13TH MARCH 2011

Annan started their second home match of 2011 with high hopes following a good display last week, with conditions soft underfoot and rain never far away the stage was set to welcome Dumfries to a high tempo game. From the kick off Annan pressed hard with the continuation of good driving at the rucks and mauls only to find a spilled ball well picked up by Dumfries who shipped the ball wide well to score within 2 minutes.

Following some forced changes within ten minutes Annan found themselves with players out of position and four debutants in the back line. Annan continued with some promising rugby only to find that almost every error was punished by a very well drilled and organized Dumfries. The first period ended with Annan trailing by 3 tries .

The second period saw further changes to the Annan personnel, who managed the changes well and continued with the good flowing rugby of the first period , some excellent tackling saw every Dumfries move halted and several turn over balls used to good effect by Annan with Harry Miller catching the eye for good pick up and driving. Annan again suffered when 2 minor errors were punished by Dumfries. This period also saw Dumfries who traveled with a large squad forced into making changes as they too had to replace injured players with debutants.

The final period echoed the first two periods with Annan holding well and repelling Dumfries attacks and mounting some very good runs of their own with Robert Muir continuing in a good vein of form. Liam Jameson and Mark Leesing found themselves in several different positions but adapted and performed well. Some scything tackles by the wing forwards had the crowd cheering and both Oliver & Benjamin Wagner put in strong competion for man of the match but that accolade belongs to Logan Johnstone for an exceptional debut with some good handling and excellent rucking .

Annan ended by losing by 7 tries to zero but played really well and there were many positives to take into next weeks’ games.

13TH MARCH 2011

Annan travelled to Newton Stewart with 21 players looking forward to the return match following the close run home defeat before Christmas. After arriving late with little time to get changed and warmed up Annan gifted Newton Stewart their first try in the opening minute. This was to be the catalyst for a much improved performance from the previous week. A series of driving rucks saw Annan enter the opponents 22 and stay there for the remainder of the 1st period Excellent Newton Stewart tackling kept Annan at bay until the final minute when good work by Drew Gough saw debutant Zak Backhouse scoop up the loose ball and score in the right hand corner, Ion Clark converted.

At the end of the 1st period Annan made changes, bringing on all the substitutes, this made no difference to the style of play & Annan continued to be successful with the pick and drive. After a few minutes Callum Smith drove over from 5 meters to take the lead for Annan , Ion Clark again converted . From the restart Annan withstood some pressure and then turned the ball over to go back on the attack. A rampaging run from Robert Muir was stopped 5 meters short, Annan continued their good rucking of the 1st period and pushed Newton Stewart back for Muir to finish the move he started with a score in the right hand corner. Clark’s conversion this time hitting the post. Annan kept the pressure on Newton Stewart but a moment of ill-discipline saw Annan reduced to 14 men for the remainder of the 2nd period , From the resulting penalty Newton Stewart scored in the right hand corner (unconverted). Annan finished the 2nd period strongly with some powerful tacking regaining possession for Gough to score after a strong individual run.

At the start of the last period Annan made more wholesale changes , They again knocked on the kick off and from the resulting scrum Newton Stewart scored their 3rd try (converted). Annan continued to put pressure on the ball carrier when not in possession & turned the ball over .They then made the hard yards through pick up & rucking before spinning the ball wide for Steven Clark to make a 40 meter run only to be held up over the line & unable to touch the ball down . Annan completed the scoring with a second for Gough under the posts (Ion Clark converted).Annan finished the game on their own goal line but determined tackling meant Newton Stewart were unable to cross the Annan line.

6TH MARCH 2011

Annan started poorly conceding 3 tries in the opening 10 minutes giving themselves a mountain to climb. After this Annan swapped players around, got the bit between their teeth and produced some much better tackling & drove forward well when in possession - unfortunately another sweeping move by the Langholm back line saw a 4th try in the left hand corner.

The start of the second period saw Annan turn the game on its head and push Langholm into their 22 - A moment of individual power saw Drew Gough claim Annan's first try with Ion Clark adding the extra . Annan were now pushing hard for a second but were unable to convert pressure into points - mainly due to some excellent Langholm defensive tackling. A pulsating period ended with Annan tiring badly, leaving gaps on the left hand side for Langholm to run in 3 more tries

Annan started the third period with the same intensity as they did the second period and were unlucky to lose possession deep in the opposition half. The ball went into Langholm hands who again punished Annan by scoring a try in the corner. Annan were now dominating every aspect of the game and were twice held up over the opposition line. Finally Annan were rewarded with a 2nd Gough try after some excellent rucking and driving - Clark again converted.

Annan can hold there heads high as the score did not reflect the match in terms of possession, and they showed great effort and determination in what was a very physical and entertaining game.

This weeks game is away to Newton Stewart on Sunday ko 12.00. Players to meet at Clubhouse 9.45 am. All the squad who travel will play at least 2 of the 3 sessions


Annan Tigers S1/2 resumed the season with a hard fought win away to Moffat. Annan travelled to Moffat with 19 players all looking forward to their return to playing.

Annan opened the scoring early on with a well worked move finished off by Ieuan Keir who powered over in the left hand corner. Following some good interplay Joe Pagan broke through a ragged Moffat line to score almost under the posts - Cairn Wallace converted. Annan finished the half with some powerful running & offloading in the tackle, which saw Ieuan Keir over in the same corner for his second, converted by Wallace.

With some changes made at half time Moffat came out much stronger , scoring out wide on the right. From the resulting kick off Annan pushed hard through the powerful centre combination of Keir & Gough.

With the Moffat defence pulled wide Mitchell Townson scrambled over for Annan's 4th try –which was again converted. This sparked a Moffat revival & some good breaks by the no 1 & 4 saw two quick tries for Moffat - both converted.

With the game nicely balanced some more powerful play by man of the match Harry Millar saw Annan once again on the front foot leading to Ieuan Keir completing his hat trick, this time in the right hand corner, Wallace added the conversion for a final score of Annan 19 Moffat 15.

A really enjoyable game of rugby played in the Moffat sun was enjoyed by spectators of both sides


Despite the scoreline this match against a Youth team based at Ambleside was keenly contested.

Annan started slowly - the 11am KO obviously too early for some! - and poor tackling allowed the visitors a two try start.

Annan then proceeded to play their best rugby of the season and would have taken a lead into half time but for poor decision making close to the opposition try line.They continued to exert pressure in the 2nd half but again were unable to penetrate a tough visitors defence. The Barbarians finished the stronger of the two and wrapped up the win with 2 late tries.

Annan were much improved from earlier games. The lineout was good and the tackling mostly solid and more aggressive than of late.

Rucks are still not contested vigorously enough with too many forwards watching play unfold. Similarly the scrum is too loose and there were too many turnovers conceded from this

The backs, at last, were brought into play and made some good breaks in midfield. They were also guilty of running sideways when simple passing would have given the wingers more time and space.

The team undoubtedly benefited from more evenly matched opposition and it was good to see 21 boys involved.


Annan played well from the start this week - having most of the possession but getting forced back due to some very good Stewartry defence, after a couple of good portions of extended pressure we were forced back into our 22 - a storming break down the wing from the Stewartry inside centre only stopped by an excellent ball & all tackle forcing the player into touch - from the line out we were forced into touch & goal - we kicked the ball to relieve pressure only to have the full back catch the ball & score in the opposite corner.

After that it was all Annan and took the lead with two excellent tries At the start of the 2nd period we were again on top with some very good rucking, forward drives & moving the ball well in the backs Unfortunately Stewarty then turned the match with 3 tries in quick succession Annan ending this period 1 converted try behind.

The 3rd Period started brightly with us regaining the lead but even with some really good tackling we could not stem the constant pressure & Stewartry got 2 more trys finishing 2 trys ahead of us

Scorers - Tries - Ion Clark,Harry Millar,Rory Graham, Drew Gough and Christian White

As Stewartry had defeated Dumfries by 40 points this was always going to be a tough game for the Annan lads, but they produced their best display of the season and showed just how much they have improved.

The League now takes a break until March but training is to continue on Sat mornings at Violetbank 10-12


This week Annan played well from the start and were deserving winners of an entertaining game by 6 tries to 4

Forwards and backs combined well and there were storming runs from Ieuan Keir, Callum Smith and Drew Gough.

Joe Pagan showed up well on debut and Liam Jamieson took over kicking duties with success.

Overall though this was a good team performance, showing the benefit of regular coaching and games

Scorers Tries - Drew Gough (3) Callum Taylor, Callum Smith and Joe Pagan and Conversions - Liam Jamieson (3) and Ion Clark (1)

More Match Photos


As at Langholm the Annan boys were slow out of the blocks and lost the 1st session 4 tries to nil.

They then started to play well as a team both in attack and defence and matched their opponents in the 2nd session 4 tries each

The lads then began to tire in the third period but stuck in well and were only outscored 3 tries to 2

Annan are improving with every outing but need to start games more positively

Scorers - Tries Luke Clark(2), Robert Muir,Drew Gough,Ion Clark & AN Other, Conversions Ion Clark(2)


Annan Tigers S1/2 team played their second local development league match against Newton Stewart at a sunny Violetbank on Sunday.

A highly entertaining match was shaded by the visitors 18 - 15 with the winning try being scored right on the final whistle.

Both sides kept the ball moving with excellent handling and spectators were treated to a real end to end game

Annan will be pleased that they scored 4 excellent tries and their tackling was much improved from the week before, much to the coaches delight.

Tries were scored by - Rory Graham (3) and Lee Dunion with 3 Conversions by Cairn Wallace

More Match Photos