Match Reports
ANNAN U16 XV - 2006/2007 SEASON

All previous fixtures/results etc can be found at the Archive page.

Cartha Q.P.
Stewartry 7's


Annan were represented by two teams at Castle Douglas on Sunday, the younger U15 side and the vastly more experienced U16 side. 

The older lads were scheduled to play first on the main pitch against eventual winners Garnock. The yellows made hard work of the first tie and subsequently went down 31-7, the only Annan points coming late in the second half from J Harrison who scored a try and the conversion.

Next up were Irvine and despite some good forward play, were halted from going forward by Annan whom were now playing as they could, and ran out winners 15-0, the three tries from C Coupland(1) and J Bigham(2).

Dumfries were the last of the opposition in group one, and a win was necessary to keep Annan in the competition. It was looking as if Annan may just have held on to their slender 12-7 advantage, only for the Doonhamers to score twice in the dying seconds. Final score 12-19 to Dumfries, the Annan points from a try each for C Coupland and J Bigham, whom also converted the second. An early bath for the hopefuls, who could easily have gone much further in the competition.

Team C Bell(c), S Nicholson, C Nicholson, S Woodhouse, J Harrison, C Coupland, C Armstrong, G Johnstone, J Butler, J Bigham, E McDougal, C Henderson, R Hollis.

This was the first real showing of the young but rapidly improving youngsters and with an amazing first game against Dumfries, rattling in 8 tries and 4 conversions, stunning the opposition and coaches alike. Final score 48-0 in Annan's favour  

The next victim in the group was to be Irvine whom were despatched 26-0, with 4 tries and 3 conversions.

This, due to the limited number of teams, meant Annan would meet Marr in the semi-final. Annan again emerged comfortable winners with a tally of 5 tries and 2 conversions adding up to 29-0.

The final loomed and the opposition was to be Dumfries again. It was all to be one way traffic with a plethora of tries and conversions adding to a final score of 57-0.

The list of scorers during the tournament is as follows: Tries from: A Carlyle(5) K McWhir(3) W Grayson(3) K Little(4) G Forrester(3) C Jamieson(4) L Clark(2) T Smith(1), conversions; A Carlyle(12) W Grayson(1).

Team, A Carlyle, W Grayson(c), K McWhir, G Forrester, K Little, C Jamieson, L Clark,C Bell, J Holliday, T Smith.

A great result for the youngsters, not only being unbeaten but keeping a clean sheet.


Annan U16's played host to Cartha Queens Park from Glasgow in a friendly at Violetbank on Sunday. Annan were still reeling from their defeat to Carlisle the previous week, so were intent on winning this match. Annan quickly took control of the game and showed what they were capable of with some fine interplay, linking and quick recycling of the ball, a point that coaches had emphasised to the youngsters. In what was a very enjoyable game to watch, however, for the first time in many a blue moon, the half time score was locked at 0-0.

With some encouraging words at half time, though, and now with the disadvantage of a headwind and the sun in their eyes, Annan had it all to do, but with some attractive hand work, and some good supportive play, they drew first blood with a stunning try from prop, S Nicholson. The game remained highly competitive, despite the uncomfortable (for the players) heat and hard ground. Again after some fine passing and linking, No.8 C Nicholson barged over the line for a well deserved try, making it an all Redkirk affair. The extras this time added by J Bigham.

Cartha never really threatened the home line but after a deep crossfield kick which was allowed to bounce, the visitors managed to intercept the ball and score. Soon after this, the game was stopped due to an unfortunate injury, which resulted in an ambulance trip for flanker M Panczak.

Fortunately, though there was no serious injury and Mark hopes to be back training soon. A big thanks to the ambulance crew and to team mates and opposition for the rapturous send off. All in all, a much better performance from the lads from the previous week, which had they played as well on that occasion, the Carlisle youths would have been sent homewards to think again. Final score Annan 12 Cartha QP 5.

Team; C Bell, W Gray, S Nicholson, D Brooke, D Wilkinson, M Panczak,C Nicholson,M Anderson,C Jamieson,J Bigham,E McDougal,C Henderson,A Carlyle,C Coupland,J Harrison,S Mckenzie,G Johnstone,J Butler. For the record G Johnstone and S McKenzie played for Cartha who arrive a player short, big hand to them


Annan welcomed Langholm to a friendly at the Everholm on Sunday, unsure, after the large tides of late, whether it would be a rugby game or a swimming competition. Langholm made the best of the early play, however, throwing the ball wide and utilising some speedy backs.

Annan settled down a bit though and immediately started to play some attractive text book rugby and soon had points on the board after No. 8 Jamie Harrison breached the Langholm line to score under the posts, Jimmy Bigham adding the extras. To the delight of the spectators, Jimmy Bigham scored a peach of a drop goal within minutes to take the score to 10 - 0 in Annan's favour. It wasn't all one way traffic and Langholm persevered with their attack. The score remained the same at half time. Annan then came out firing on all cylinders and looked purposeful and confident. After some good interplay and recycling, scum half Callum Jamieson grounded a fine try.

Langholm seemed to up their game at this point and after some great handling, S Houston scored under the home posts converted by G Campbell. Game on. Annan then dug deep and again some wonderful handling let Craig Coupland in for a try in the corner. Undeterred, Langholm again drove forward and were rewarded with another score from G Campbell.

Annan now were playing out of their skins and after probably the best spell of the match Dinger O'Driscoll flicked a beautiful reverse flick for Jimmy Bigham to score in the corner. Final score in this excellent team performance,  Annan 27 Langholm 12. This was also a good performance from Bomb's Langholm squad, and had it not been for Annan's persistent defence, could have resulted in an away win. 

After a period without any rugby, Annan played surprisingly well. In addition to this some of the younger players included in the line up were playing their first ever game. Coaches would like to thank the Annan squad for their continuous attendance at training sessions and on match day, they really are all valued. 


Annan’s U16 squad traveled to Ayrshire on Sunday to take on Irvine U16s at Marress and started the game as if they were still on the bus while their hosts ran in converted try in the opening minutes. That was a wake up call to the Annan team who retaliated with a fine spell of play which saw Steven McKenzie and Callum Bell both scoring tries. Irvine responded in kind and scored a further try before Callum Bell scored his second try to take the half time score to Irvine 12 Annan 15.

After a half time team talk from coach John Panczak the Annan team came out strongly in the second half and whilst Irvine tried their hardest and on several occasions came close the Annan defenses stood firm. It was Annan who scored the only points in the second half when Sean Woodhouse crossed whitewash 10 minutes from the final whistle. Irvine without doubt have been Annan sternest opposition this season. Final Score Irvine U16s 12 Annan U16s 20


Dumfries U16s, who have had a fine season so far, arrived in good spirits ready to give the home side a hard game which they did. Annan took the game to the opposition straight from the kick off and there was plenty of communication and support between the whole team. Annan’s Craig Coupland opened the scoring with a try straight of the training field and was followed by two tries from Euan McDougal, one from Callum Bell and another from Craig Coupland.

The second half started with the visitors running in two tries in the first 10 minutes which woke the home side out of their half time lethargy. Annan hit back with an excellent try from George Forrest after a fine run of play. Dumfries had the final say with a fine try 10 minutes from the final whistle. Annan’s try scorers did not make it easy for Annan’s kicker James Bingham who only managed to convert one of the six tries but nevertheless kicked extremely well. The Annan coaches were pleased with the overall performance of the team.

Final Score Annan 32 Dumfries 15


Photos from game

This league division 1 tie was played on a very heavy Violetbank pitch which had seen 2nd team action a day earlier and was not ,perhaps, in the best of condition. However, Annan's determination was clearly visible from early in the game and the youngsters provided an entertaining game of rugby.

The pressure was constant throughout most of the game, the visitors seemingly unable to stop the rampaging Annan forwards from penetrating the defensive Ardossan line. Annan were in numbers offering support and options throughout the game which resulted in a ten try defeat of the Ayrshire side.

Ardrossan were by no means a poor or weak team and never really lost their fighting spirit, but could do little to break down the relentless attack, which the ever growing home support enjoyed immensely.

A much better performance from Annan than the previous week, although there are still some areas of the game that require attention, such as communication, which the coaches will address in the coming weeks.

A mention for Scott Nicholson who has a received a glowing report from the S.R.U. regarding his Glasgow district trial work, a big hand from team mates and coaches, keep it up Scottie.

Tries from; E McDougal[1] S Woodhouse[1] C Henderson[1] C Coupland[1] M Clark[3] W Gray[1] C Nicholson[1] M Anderson[1]. J Bigham converted 5 of these.

Team: S Nickleback, S Woodlouse, C Bellter, ZZ Brooke, D Wilkmacher, R Horlicks, C Pickleson, W Grayson, M Anderlecht, M Clerk, C Henhoose, C Dopeland, J Biggun, E Mcfrugal, C Jammygit, J Harpicson, R Mckenzie, A Carpark, G Johnstoon, J Battler, R Eggnog, G Forrester, C Headstrong.


Despite the torrential overnight rain, the Greenlaw pitches were in remarkably good condition for Sunday's league tie. Annan looked to be switched on during warm up, but were warned to avoid complacency before the kick off.

Annan visibly struggled to find the form of their previous outing a fortnight ago and struggled to penetrate the Stewartry line as a result of scrappy handling and poor decision making. After a period of pressure, however, Annan did manage to string a few passes together and released Haribo through to score under the posts, with Jimmy Bigham adding the extras. Stewartry appeared to up their game and were rewarded with an unconverted try which brought them back into the game. Annan's game was somewhat sporadic, but after a better spell of possession, Haribo once again broke through the home defence to score,  J Bigham added the two points. Half time score 5-12.

Making a couple of changes at the break made little or no difference to the overall performance of the visiting side. The game did pick up a little during the closing stages and after some fine handling, Haribo set Mark Clark up for a good score under the home goal. J Harrison added the two points on this occasion. There shortly followed a fine spell of play which resulted in centre Wilbur Gray weaving his way through for a well deserved score.

This time Haribo missed the conversion with a ‘big tae howk’ that Granpa Broon could have slotted! Final Score Stewartry 5 Annan 26. The result somewhat flatters Annan, a side capable of much more, and must produce more effort if they are to consolidate their position in the league.

  Team, S Nicholson, S Woodhouse, C Bell, D Brooke, D Wilkinson, R Hollis, C McEwan, C Nicholson, M Clark, C Jamieson,J Bigham, M Anderson, W Gray, C Coupland, J Harrison, J Butler, E McDougal, C Henderson,


Annan travelled to Bellsland on Sunday with a view to maintaining their winning form in league div 1. Due to unforeseen circumstances, however, the tie was played as a friendly with Kilmarnock quickly assembling an U18 team at very short notice. Big hand to Killie. The Ayrshire side scored a try from the kick off and then again minutes after, and it looked at this early stage as if the script had been written. Annan retaliated soon after when stand off J Bigham sidestepped his way through to score under the posts. Annans continued to push forward and were rewarded with a fine try from scrum half M Clark. Annan were starting to show some belief in themselves against a far bigger and older side, when Killie struck back with a good score on half time. The score at the break Kilmarnock 21 Annan 10.

After a change round in the team, Annan came out firing on all cylinders and almost immediately scored again through M Clark. Kilmarnock then replied with a well worked try. The Annan youngsters then exploded and played their finest rugby to date. After some good interplay, full back Haribo broke through the home defence with a chip and chase and grounded under the posts. This was closely followed, again as a result of some attractive and creative play, when Frugal McDougal scored in the corner. Well done the birthday boy! Finally after some fine rucking and driving, and despite some frantic home defence, D Brooke barrelled in for a fine forwards try. Final score Kilmarnock 26 Annan 39. This was an excellent team effort against a big, strong side and it was truly a privilege to witness such a performance.

Annan U16 team: S Nicholson, S Woodhouse, C Bell, R Hollis, D Brooke, W Gray, C McEwan, C Nicholson, M Clark, J Bigham, C Coupland, M Anderson, R Eggleton C Jamieson, J Harrison, M Panczak, D Wilkinson, C Armstrong, G Johnston, S Rutter, E McDougal, J Butler.